Fall is here and along with the beautiful autumn colors and crisp breezes comes the beginning of flu season.
The dreaded flu with its achy all over, fever, chills, run down feeling and sick feelings that go with it. What you do now to prepare your body for the onslaught of viruses heading your way will determine if you escape the flu or succumb to it.
Many think getting a flu shot is all you need to do to prevent from contracting the dreaded illness. While the shot may offer you some immunity, it doesn’t provide a 100% protection. If it were only that easy – one shot and you’re in the clear, but we all know that getting a flu shot is just one thing you can do. And there are many people who don't believe a flu shot really helps and causes more harm than good.
So what can you do?
Here are some things you must do to keep healthy:
- Wash your hands…..a lot – Become a bit of a germaphobe. Washing your hands and washing them often, helps prevent the spreading of germs and helps to keep us from contracting those germs in the first place.
You also want to scrub long enough. Singing the ABC’s is the right amount of time to scrub. If you can’t sing then sing to yourself in your head. If teaching children, go ahead and sing out loud anyway as kids don’t care if you can’t carry a tune and it makes the chore that much more fun.
Keep in mind that antibacterial soap is no more effective at killing germs than regular soap is. Using antibacterial soap may even lead to the development of bacteria that are resistant to the product's antimicrobial agents — making it harder to kill these germs in the future.
You also want to stay away from hand sanitizer. The studies are really starting to show just how dangerous they are to use. You don’t need them!
I have a great little recipe for your own on-the-go sanitizer to keep in the car, purse, desk drawer, etc. Contact me and I’ll share it with you.
A good, gentle hand soap like our Hand Wash Concentrate is great for getting hands clean without stripping valuable oil and drying them out. Washing your hands often can dry them out, so use one that makes them soft and happy.
- Get plenty of rest – It’s more than just feeling happy and less cranky, your immune system can be very negatively impacted by inadequate sleep.
You may say you can only dream about getting that much, but you need to set a good example and just think how much nicer you’ll be when you feel well rested and healthy! Who wants to be around a cranky, tired, sick person?
And for those occasional times where sleep eludes you, try our Gentle Sleep Complex. You’ll sleep like a baby so you won’t act like one when you don’t get enough sleep.
- Clean with a germicide – Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces is very important especially during flu season or when someone in the household is already sick.
Try our Basic-G Concentrated Germicide or our Germ Off Fragrance Free Disinfecting Wipes – a little goes a long way. They are convenient to use and what’s really great is Basic-G kills many of the viruses that cause the flu and other illnesses for up to 3 days on a hard surface--Lysol lasts for 10 minutes after it dries and Bleach lasts for about 1 hour after it dries and vinegar does not disinfect at all. Take that germs!
- Eat a healthy diet - full of antioxidants and immune supporting nutrients -
That’s right FIVE! One tomato slice and one piece of flimsy iceberg lettuce on a hamburger with 3 pickles doesn’t really count so make sure it’s fresh fruit and vegetables if you can get it and frozen if you can’t. Go organic as much as possible especially on fruit where you eat the skins – grapes, apples, etc.
Eating a healthy diet is crucial to a healthy immune system. We all know eating right can help us lose weight and lose it in a healthy way as opposed to losing it from being sick where whatever we eat comes out both ends – ugh! Right?
- Be sure you are taking supplementation to support immune health – You knew this was coming. Supplementing your diet with immune protecting nutrients is absolutely critical in ensuring a healthy immune system to help prevent getting sick in the first place.
Here are our recommendations:
- Vitalizer or Vita-Lea – Always start with your foundation of a good multi. Vitalizer contains a lot more than just a basic multi, but Vita-Lea is still a great place to start.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D is probably one of the least expensive vitamins out there, but it is often one of the biggest vitamins we are deficient in. Vitamin D helps with so many health issues from preventing illness, to preventing cancer and on down the line. If you only add one extra vitamin to your regimen, make it Vitamin D.
- Nutriferon – I can’t say enough about this product, it is great! You can read all about it on the website, but here are a few of its wonderful features - Exclusive patented formula providing our highest level of daily immune protection; The only supplement created by the discoverer of interferon which is critical to healthy immune function; Naturally increases levels of interferon; Proven by 4 human clinical studies.
- Defend & Resist Complex - To supercharge the immune system when you feel that first tickle, you only take it when you feel like you’re coming down with something and till you feel better. This product when taken when you start to feel bad, really helps to kick the virus “where the sun doesn’t shine” before it gets a strong hold in your body.
- Immunity Formula I - Contains a blend of six immunoactive vitamins - vitamin A in the form of beta carotene, vitamins C, E, B6, B12 and folic acid; Mineral support for a strong immune system includes copper, selenium, and zinc. Zinc, vitamins E and C, and beta carotene also provide dietary support for healthy skin - your first line of defense.
- Sustained Release Vita C or Chewable Vita C – We all know that Vitamin C is very helpful in the fight against illness. Vitamin C really helps boost your immune system into attack mode. Don’t ever be without it.
- Optiflora – Did you know about 80% of your immune system is in your gut? If you don’t have enough of the good bacteria swimming around in there, you are susceptible to illness. Getting enough good microflora is crucial to a healthy immune system.
- Zinc - Zinc is so very cheap to buy and it is a huge player in your immune system. At the slightest inclination of a cold, start taking the Zinc.
That’s it. Not really hard and most of these ideas I bet you already knew. It sometimes though needs repeating till we get it through our heads that preventing illness is really a whole lot easier and more fun than trying to deal with actually being sick.
Be one of those proud people that come through the flu season unscathed and don’t keep it a secret! Be sure to tell your family, friends and most of all your co-workers who we know are the worst offenders at spreading illnesses, right?
To Your Good Health,
*For more information on health and wellness visit our website ToBeHealthy.MyShaklee.com
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.